Pages

Friday 1 May 2015

And then it was May ...

This month we feature Sarah Beetson with The return of the young prince. I think you will all like this bright and colourful artwork.


 Criteria is the use of STARS

A little about Sarah Beetson ...

When Sarah Beetson was seven years old, she had three ambitions – to win Wimbledon, to be a rock star, and to illustrate a children’s book like Quentin Blake. She’s come pretty close to meeting that third ambition, and has major clients in fashion, editorial and publishing. She also shows in galleries around the world.  Sarah spends most of her year in Queensland, Australia, returning to the UK for a few months now and again, on top of her other globetrotting endeavours such as a three-month artist in residency at Coney Island, New York.

Sarah begins by creating a background using spray paint, tissue paper and/or collage, which is applied to paper, wood, a photographic print or fabric. She then draws the linework using Pilot G Tec C pens. The image is rounded off with a full range of mixed media that can include acryl-gouache, markers, gel pens, crayon, stickers, vintage magazine clippings, beads, sequins, Letraset… and more.  From out of the chaos emerges glorious illustration work that finely balances colour, line and texture for a unique effect. Pop culture and plenty of vintage influences shine through in Sarah’s work. Her rock t-shirt collection includes shirts for Purple Rain, The Wall, Live Aid '85, Rebel Yell and the Joshua Tree. She’s also inspired by space travel, Coney Island, Americana, film director John Waters and artists like Antoni Gaudi, Gustav Klimt, Egon Schiele, Julie Verhoeven, David Downton, Antonio Lopez and Jamie Hewlett.


And now how the first of our team was inspired ...

 I went with the colours from the inspiration painting, mainly yellow with pops of colour. Yellow from the prince's hair and the colours from the stars.

This piece of artwork inspired me to use, not only stars, but lots of colour. I've gone to town with the Gelatos and Mists. I also used the "emboss resist" technique on this page.

 
Stars and my grandboy go together, so for a change I thought I’d do a Project Life page for this challenge. I really loved the idea of using the colours from the art piece & incorporating as many stars as I could! The white ‘splotches’ on the background? Nail polish!!!

The inspiration for my “border" came from the background in the artwork.  

 I was inspired by the colours and youthfulness of Sara Beetson’s artwork. I thought it was a perfect piece to inspire me to scrap a photo of my son from his recent trip to Japan. This was the first independent overseas trip for my son. I chose this photo, taken at the Tokyo Tower, because it screams “youth, fun and colour” …. Just like Sara Beetson’s artwork.

HELENE
I stamped stars in different colors on the background and also used one big stickers star.


And now it is your turn ......

Please upload the DIRECT link to your actual entry with the link tool on the LEFT by 11.55pm on May 31st, 2015.  We'd love to see your new paper, digital, mixed media or off the page entries. Why not try doing a pocket page spread?  Please no back-dated submissions.  

 You may combine our challenge with a sketch and a product/technique challenge (so two additional challenges).  Please include our inspirational picture and challenge details on your blog post as well as provide a link back to us at ARTastic  ... and don't forget to tell us how you were inspired by our challenge.  

You may enter more than once in any month as long as each submission is with a different creation.  International entries are very welcome. 


Please pop back on the 8th for The ARTastic 3T's - Tips, Tricks and Techniques brought to you this month by our delightful team member, Elaine Schoof

Our April winners will also be announced at this time and as we again have a wonderful selection of layouts and cards in the link-up it is going to be a real task to select our main winners - thank goodness for our random draw prize :)

8 comments:

  1. What a bundle of fun this challenge is going to be! I love the inspiration piece and the background information about the talented artist Sara Beetson. Another amazing blog challenge by ARTastic - I'm going to have another busy month creating, I think!! :D
    Deb.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful choice and great work by the DT. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo much inspiration here..... I'm stunned by the variety....well done girls. As I just said to Jane, if I wasn't on the team, I'd most deffo be playing along!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a bright and colour piece of art, my brain is already ticking over, I know some of the embellishments I am going to use but what to create is the real issue. Beautiful work by the design team

    ReplyDelete
  5. Echo Deenas sentiments. It's a beautiful inspiration piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are all inspired - can't wait to see your work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic variety of layouts ladies ... love each one of them

    ReplyDelete
  8. all so different and inspiring
    Mary

    ReplyDelete